Wednesday, August 23, 2006

They're Heeeeere...

I've been reading a novel by pulpy novelist, Dean Koontz the last couple nights. It's called The Taking and, well, it ain't bad. I have to admit that I am pretty much a sucker for anything weird or sci/fi so I get sucked in pretty easy. If it is also scary, then I tend to become absorbed.
So right from the first night reading this book, I'm starting to get freaked out. It's about this gushing rain that won't stop and brings evil creatures that want to eat your face off, turn mirrors into portals, you know real end-of-the-world type stuff. I finally get to an unscary part and put it down. Whew! I'm like scared to turn out the light scared from this book. Looking into the hallway, glancing out the window, closing closet doors. worried that the evil rain and baddies are coming for me. Not really scared, but very cognizant of the story even while not reading it. Really enjoying it.

Last night I'm storming through this page turner, the plot thickens, the evil rain is still falling, creatures are coming, eating faces, infesting minds, corrupting youth, etc. I finally give in and put the book down sometime after 12:00. Whew!

I am awoken, suddenly this morning at about 4:00 am by - no shit - an intruder leaping through my window onto my bed! The monster is small and less agile than he thought, because he falls off the bed and gets stuck between the bed and the wall. The window is thrown wide open and the wind blows violently through, flapping the curtain. Elsewhere in the house I here other intruders skittering past blinds, knocking objects off tables, invading!

A thunderstorm had rolled in and blown my window fan in, off the window sill. All the open windows in the house began breathing with the storm, throwing anything that weighed less than the October issue of Details around the room. (Seriously that thing is like 3 pounds)
Needless to say, with all the ideas rambling in my head, I was freaked out. Not the best way to start the longest day of my life, which by the way, is Minneapolis to Orange County for the afternoon, then to Spokane via Seattle. I'm on the Seattle layover now..... At least I get warm cookies in Spokane.

OK. I'm going to finish this book now. I doubt I'll sleep on the next flight.



No comments: