Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Catching up part 2

I have been meaning to get this up for a long time. It's come up in a few conversations recently so I guess it's time. I went to India in March of 2006 to train some Dell employees. These are entries from my journal while I was there. Previous post: Part 1


Tuesday, March 7, 2006
Qutab Shahi Tombs, Golconda Fort - Hyderabad, India

I left for the fort around 10 am. First the driver insisted we stop at the Qutab Shahi Tombs. Got some very good pictures there, but we were a little hassled by a pushy “tour guide” who wouldn’t take no for an answer and continued to follow us around and try and engage us in conversation. He wanted money at the end for doing "his job". Ultimately I didn’t pay him and I don’t think he liked that.







With little free time that morning we moved on to Golconda Fort. More than a fort, it’s really a small city surrounded by walls. You pass through four gates before arriving at the entrance to the fort itself. Once there we were approached many times by more "tour guides" wanting to give us the full tour. Even after saying no, they will still follow you around and offer information until they know for sure that you're not paying. Turns out the self guided tour was sufficient. We hiked to the top to take in a great view of the city. The walls of the fort are very impressive, built right into some enormous natural boulders on the hillside.







Had time after for a refreshing dip in the pool, then got absolutely stuffed at the buffet. Crazy hot Thai seafood soup, almost too hot to eat, but very tasty.

Check out my version of the recipe.

Read Part 3...



No comments: